It still amazes me that I can eat delicious foods like this Coconut Chai Muffin in a Mug and not be “cheating” on my diet.
Although I hate to call the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle a diet. There’s just too much food freedom going on with the Plan for it to be called that “D Word.”
This Coconut Chai Muffin in a Mug is full of healthy fats and fiber. It’s something I threw together today and I loved it enough to make it again and actually write down the ingredients so I could share it with you!
My son loved being able to eat it with some hot organic Honeybush tea after playing outside in the snow, too.
The basis for this tasty Coconut Chai Muffin in a Mug recipe is found in the original Trim Healthy Mama book, on page 256. It’s an easy and very versatile recipe.
Even though I generally don’t use the microwave for anything other than heating up water, this is one exception I make…simply because I haven’t yet taken the time to make a big batch of MIMs to bake in the oven and freeze for later.
Need a dairy free frosting? Nana’s Little Kitchen has just the thing: Dairy Free Coconut Whipped Cream (plus tips on how to make it successfully)!
If you want to know more about Trim Healthy Mama, read my review here.
For the Muffin:
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs almond meal
- 2 Tbs ground flax meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch or two of sea salt
- 1/2-3/4 tsp chai spice blend (try my Homemade Chai Spice Blend
- 1 Tbs shredded coconut (unsweetened - I like this brand
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- splash of vanilla (learn how to make your own here
- 1 Tbs water
- Stevia to taste, such as 2-4 "doonks" of THM Pure Stevia Extract or 1-2 tsp Pyure Organic Stevia
For the Frosting:
- 1 Tbs light cream cheese (1/3 less fat…Neufchatel)
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp virgin coconut oil
- You can use all butter or all coconut oil, just make it 1 tsp of whatever you use
- splash of vanilla
- Stevia to taste, I usually use a “doonk” of THM Pure Stevia Extract or 1/2 tsp of Pyure Organic Stevia
Make the Muffin:
- In a mug (or bowl), whisk the egg well with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. If your coconut oil is hard, that's ok...just mush it with the fork while you're mixing.
- Microwave for one minute. Depending on your microwave, you may need to cook for an additional 30 seconds. I have found that using coconut in these Muffin in a Mug recipes typically requires a bit longer cooking time. I cook for one minute and check then add more time if needed.
- If you'd rather not use a microwave, you can bake in a ramekin or other oven safe dish at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Or, use a waffle iron!
- Top your Coconut Chai Muffin in a Mug with my super easy cream cheese "frosting"
Make the Frosting:
- Add all ingredients to a bowl then, using a spoon, mash and mix together until smooth and creamy.
- It is of course easier if the cream cheese, butter and coconut oil are at room temperature but not necessary. You just need to work at it a little harder and a little longer, but it will soften and mix together.
Trim Healthy Mamas
This is an S style recipe so enjoy with a low carb meal.
Keep in mind it has plenty of healthy fats so keep the rest of the fat in your meal a little lighter more often.
Frosting is optional, since it's made with cream cheese and puts this into the Heavy S category. Enjoy responsibly!
The Nutritional Information is for one serving without optional frosting. With the frosting, add an additional 209 Calories, 21.3 g Fat, 1 g Carbs, 2.1 g Protein.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t Forget to Pin This Coconut Chai Muffin in a Mug Recipe to Your Favorite Recipe Boards!