Bright, refreshing, lemon ice cream is the perfect treat on a hot summer day. I’ve lightened up my usual vanilla-based ice cream a bit so it’s lighter (but still luscious)! Fresh lemon juice really makes this sugar-free, dye-free, THM S recipe shine.
Confession: I adore ice cream. Which is part of what made me need a healthy lifestyle program like Trim Healthy Mama.
I learned to soothe hurts with it. And I don’t mean slathering on booboos. No, the emotional ones. A bowl of ice cream (or two) made me feel better for a moment anyway.
But guess what? That comfort food didn’t actually provide lasting comfort. It just perpetuated a vicious cycle!
Change your mindset about comfort food! Check out my Comfort Food Myth article (plus over 150 THM-ified comfort food recipes).
The Trim Healthy Mama plan shows us how to enjoy our favorite foods in a way that helps encourage healing and weight loss.
That means low carb, sugar free lemon ice cream is totally on-plan. It’s sure to brighten your day, too!
How To Make This Recipe.
Last year I was blessed to find a brand new Cuisinart ice cream maker on Facebook Marketplace for a steal. It even came with an extra freezer bowl. I highly recommend getting an extra one!
Even if you’re not testing recipes, being able to make 2 flavors back to back or for entertaining it’s essential.
This recipe makes about 3 1/2 cups, or 7 half-cup servings. I’ve not tried the no-churn method so I can’t say if that works or not.
Using an ice cream maker is so easy! Just blend your ingredients, pour into your machine per manufacturer’s directions, and let the magic happen.
My only tip is be careful not to over blend your base if it includes heavy cream. I’ve done that before and you end up with something that wants to be more like butter than ice cream.
I prefer not to use food coloring. If you like your lemon ice cream more yellow feel free to add a few drops of yellow food coloring if that’s your jam.
FLAVOR TIP: I love tangy lemon flavor. If you prefer a more subtle lemon ice cream, cut back on the amount of lemon juice. Start with 1/4 cup and add more in small amounts until you achieve the right amount of lemon flavor.
If you use less lemon juice, you may need less sweetener too.
How To Fit This Luscious Lemon Ice Cream Into Your THM Meal Plan.
Always consult the Trim Healthy Mama Plan Book for complete information on how to put together your meals.
One half-cup serving of this creamy lemony goodness contains a little over 7 grams of fat and just under 5 grams of carbs.
Enjoy a serving after an S meal. Choosing a lighter S meal now and then helps keep balance in your THM meals, which is a good thing!
A nice, summery meal option to consider:
- Sweet Tea Grilled Chicken breast (FP or choose dark meat for S)
- Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Salad (Light S)
- Small lettuce salad with Creamy Citrus Dressing (S)
- A serving of Luscious Lemon Ice Cream for dessert (S)
A lighter option…
- Lemon Dill Air Fryer Salmon (made FP style)
- Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw (FP)
- Steamed green beans (or other non-starchy veggies) with Herbed Butter (S)
- One serving of Luscious Lemon Ice Cream for dessert (S)
Finally, enjoy a full cup as a snack on a hot, steamy day.
This lovely lemon treat is sure to bring a bit of sunny (and tasty) cheer to your day. And, you can be happy knowing it’s a healthy, THM friendly choice.
Want more sweet treat recipes? Check out my Desserts and Sweets category page.
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (juice of 4 small lemons), or bottled
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons THM Super Sweet (or preferred sweetener to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable glycerin (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon finely minced lemon zest (or 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon high mineral salt
- Add all ingredients to to a blender jar.
- Blend until smooth, about 20 seconds or so. Don't over blend.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- For firmer ice cream, remove from freezer bowl into another container and place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or longer.
I like tangy! If you prefer a more subtle lemon flavor, use less lemon juice. Start with 1/4 cup and add more in small amounts until it's at the right level of lemon for you.
If you use less lemon juice, you may need less sweetener too. Try cutting sweetener amount in half as well and adding more as needed.
If you want to use food coloring add a drop or two of yellow.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94.1Total Fat: 7.3gSaturated Fat: 4.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2.7gCholesterol: 24.8mgSodium: 130.3mgCarbohydrates: 5.4gNet Carbohydrates: 4.6gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 1.7gProtein: 2.4g
Nutrition information is approximate and based on the best knowledge available at the time of recipe publication. Your results may vary due to differences in ingredients. You can make your own calculations if this recipe does not include nutrition info by using an online calculator such as https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp