To say the humble spaghetti squash has got me all excited is an understatement.
One bite of this fabulous, low carb squash and I began to envision all kinds of ways to use it. Ways to replace your former high carb favorite foods (like pasta and potatoes) so you can still enjoy comfort foods without the glycemic payload delivered by pasta and potatoes. This Mock Baked Spaghetti is a comfort food you’re sure to love.
This recipe is super easy to throw together using ingredients you have on hand. I’m somewhat of a “purist” and prefer to not use prepackaged foods, but if you’re not you can use what you have.
Trim Healthy Mamas, here’s the skinny on this Mock Baked Spaghetti dish.
- For an S meal, use any percent lean ground meat, be sure to include lots of non-starchy veggies on your plate such as broccoli or a nice leafy green salad with Balsamic Mustard Vinaigrette. If you like bread with your spaghetti, try my Garlic Biscuits!
- For an E meal, use 96% lean or higher ground meat (or rinse fattier meat well with hot water after cooking). Lots of non-starchy veggies, too but don’t forget an E fuel source such as Briana Thomas’ Homemade Bread, Gwen’s Nest Easy Bread, Nana’s Little Kitchen’s Sprouted Cottage Wheat Bread, or Joyful Jane’s Easy Sprouted Whole Wheat and Honey Bread Machine recipe.
- For a FP meal, keep your fats low like in E and carbs low like in S and round out your plate with lots of non-starchy veggies.
- 4 c baked, shredded spaghetti squash. Read how to easily bake a whole spaghetti squash here
- 1/2 tsp Greek or Italian seasoning, if desired
- 1 pound lean ground meat, any percent lean is fine for S (For an E meal, use either grass fed beef, ground chicken or turkey breast (96% lean or higher), or venison OR any % ground meat rinsed in hot water after cooking)
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs butter (optional)
- 2 Tbs "nooch" (nutritional yeast)
- 3 c homemade marinara (recipe below)
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- salt and pepper as desired
- 1 to 2 Tbs nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 tsp Greek or Italian seasoning, or as desired
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed OR 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 c diced onion, or more as desired
- stevia or other healthy sweetener if needed
- Brown ground meat.
- Drain and rinse if needed.
- If your spaghetti squash is freshly baked and warm, mix in a tablespoon of butter (for S version, omit for E or FP version).
- Add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
- Combine meat, sauce and spaghetti squash.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish or casserole and top with mozzarella and a sprinkle of Greek or Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly and browned on top. Makes four very generous servings, or serves a family of four with a bit of leftovers.
1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella has 12 grams of fat, so 4 servings will have 3 grams fat each. Use less if desired or bake without cheese and sprinkle Parmesan on individual servings for a lower fat result.
For a THM E meal include an E fuel source, such as Briana Thomas' Homemade Bread, Gwen's Nest Easy Bread, Nana's Little Kitchen's Sprouted Cottage Wheat Bread, or Joyful Jane's Easy Sprouted Whole Wheat and Honey Bread Machine recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is approximate and based on the best knowledge available at the time of recipe publication. Your results may vary due to differences in ingredients.
Be sure to pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest board, and follow Oh Sweet Mercy for more low-carb recipes!
This post was shared on Lou Lou Girl’s Fabulous Linky Party!