When you’re craving cream cheese frosting, make my easy sugar free cream cheese frosting! Super easy, just a few ingredients, and perfect for topping your favorite THM baked goodies.
Several days ago I shared my easy, I-don’t-feel-like-cooking supper. It was a Cinnadoodle Protein Pleasure Cookie from Trim Healthy Mama topped with a bit of cream cheese frosting.
Another THM in the group asked how I made the frosting so I thought I should put it on the blog for you. Since we’re in the middle of holiday baking season, it’s a great time to publish an easy, low carb frosting recipe, right?
What Do I Need For This Recipe?
Just 4 ingredients are all you need!
- Cream cheese (regular or 1/3 less fat, or neufchatel)
- Vanilla extract
I’ve used various types of sweeteners, depending on what I have on hand. Typically, I use the THM Pure Stevia Extract as it’s not grainy. It’s also very powerful and only a small amount is needed.
As always, if you’re using a sweetener different than what’s in the recipe, it’s always best to add a small amount and increase as needed until it’s as sweet as you like.
Tips For Making Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting.
Ideally, have your ingredients at room temperature. If you’re in a time crunch, it’s still possible though.
COLD INGREDIENTS TIP: Cut your butter into small pieces (I usually do about 1 tablespoon slices). Use a mixer to beat the butter until it’s fluffy. I use a hand mixer, but some day will have a Kitchenaid 😉
Then, add the rest of your ingredients and beat until fluffy.
If your ingredients are at room temp, just beat them all together until it’s fluffy. In less than 5 minutes you’ve got low carb cream cheese frosting!
How To Fit This Into Your THM Meal Plan.
This is a THM S recipe, and in particular, a Heavy S. Too much Heavy S foods made with cream cheese can cause a stall for many people.
Frost your favorite low carb THM baked goodies, like cupcakes, cakes, cookies, or muffins. This frosting is perfect for special occasions or holidays.
Some delicious recipes to try:
Cranberry Orange Baobab Muffins
Carrot Cake (recipe includes a caramel cream cheese frosting but plain is fine too)
Or, just eat it with a spoon…but remember: balance is a good thing! As delicious as this easy cream cheese frosting is, eating the whole batch is going overboard.
Just indulge wisely and keep the rest of your meals balanced with lower fats and plenty of non-starchy veggies and you’ll be fine.
What do you like to use cream cheese frosting on? Do you have a THM version of it? If not, let me know if you want me to create one for you in the comments below.
- 8 ounces cream cheese (regular or 1/3 less fat - neufchatel), room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons THM Gentle Sweet, or sweetener of choice to taste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: unsweetened almond milk for consistency
- In a mixing bowl, beat together all ingredients until well mixed and fluffy.
- If desired, add a small amount of unsweetened almond milk for more spreadable consistency, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat well after each tablespoon.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- If refrigerated, allow to soften before spreading on baked goods.
- If using cold ingredients, cut butter into small pieces and beat with a mixer until fluffy.
- Then, add remaining ingredients and beat until well combined and fluffy.
Nutrition info is calculated using regular cream cheese
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 tablespoons Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49.3Total Fat: 5.2gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1.5gCholesterol: 15.5mgSodium: 41.6mgCarbohydrates: .4gFiber: 0gSugar: .4gProtein: .7g
Nutrition information is approximate and based on the best knowledge available at the time of recipe publication. Your results may vary due to differences in ingredients. You can make your own calculations if this recipe does not include nutrition info by using an online calculator such as https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp