This low carb pumpkin shake may be dairy free but it’s creamy and delicious! Make it low fat for a THM FP or with a simple tweak or 2, transform it into a rich, satisfying THM S treat that’s perfect any time of year.
Since Sister is cutting back on dairy, I’m working on more dairy-free recipes. But, I also include tips for using dairy if you don’t need to be dairy-free.
One thing I’ve discovered is pumpkin puree is fabulous for adding body and creaminess without dairy ingredients like heavy cream or cottage cheese. Give my Pumpkin Spice Steamer a try, it’s amazingly creamy and also a dairy-free THM FP!
Not only that, it’s rich in fiber which helps us feel full. It’s also full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that help support our immune and cardiovascular systems, blood sugar, and healthy skin.
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
I do my best to create recipes using simple, wholesome ingredients. I do use some special THM ingredients at times, but try to keep them to a minimum as much as possible.
- Unsweetened cashew milk (or another on-plan, non-dairy milk)
- Pumpkin puree
- On-plan sweetener (like to make your own? Try my Mercy Sweet Sweetener Blend!)
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- High mineral salt
- Simply Sunflower Lecithin (optional but highly recommended)
- Gluccie (glucomannan powder – optional)
- MCT oil, full fat coconut milk, or coconut cream for THM S style
While special ingredients are not absolutely necessary, there is one I use and highly recommend for dairy-free recipes. That ingredient? Sunflower lecithin.
Sunflower lecithin is nourishing to our brains. I don’t know about you, but my brain needs all the nourishment it can get!
Lecithin is a type of phospholipid found in pure sunflower seeds and is a natural source of phosphatidylcholine, a natural constituent found in your brain and nervous system. Making sure to eat a diet high in lecithin rich foods (like eggs) and adding Simply Sunflower Lecithin to your diet is a wonderful, natural way to feed your brain. Phosphatidylcholine is also a potent antioxidant that paralyzes the movement of free radicals throughout the body. This makes lecithin a powerful anti-aging tool.From product description at the THM Store Website
It also helps emulsify and adds a dairy-like creaminess. I prefer THM Simply Sunflower Lecithin and have not tried any other brands. However, I’m sure any quality sunflower lecithin should work fine.
How To Include My Creamy, Low Carb Pumpkin Shake In Your THM Meal Planning.
Always consult the Trim Healthy Mama Plan Book for complete information on how to put together your meals.
Fuel Pull recipes are low in fat and carbs but that doesn’t mean they’re flavorless and boring!
This low carb pumpkin shake is creamy, filling, and so satisfying!
While as written it doesn’t contain any significant protein source, you can certainly add a scoop of collagen or other on-plan protein powder.
Without the protein powder, it’s a lovely after-dinner treat. Since it’s a THM FP, it can fit with S, E, and FP meals. Because of the pumpkin, this shake is not OK for Deep S.
Just keep in mind how much fat and carbs are in your meal and the shake to stay within plan guidelines.
You can also just make half a recipe for a dessert size shake.
With added protein it’s a great snack or quick meal for those busy days.
Feel like Thanksgiving right now? How about this THM E meal idea:
- Baked turkey breast (make it in your Ninja Foodi!)
- Turkey Stuffing Muffins
- Steamed green beans
- Creamy Low Carb Pumpkin Shake (made FP style)
Maybe you’d like a THM S Thanksgiving-style meal?
- Brown Bag Turkey – dark meat is OK in S meals!
- Low Carb Stuffing
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Creamy Low Carb Pumpkin Shake (FP style would be good here since the rest of the meal has plenty of fat but a light S style would be OK too)
Keeping things on the lighter side with a THM FP meal?
- Baked turkey or chicken breast
- Steamed cauliflower
- Side salad with Easy Ranch Dressing (make FP style)
- Creamy Low Carb Pumpkin Shake (FP style)
Are you excited for a dairy-free pumpkin shake recipe that’s THM friendly? I hope you enjoy adding this to your THM journey and it helps you stay on plan!
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk (or other on-plan non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tablespoon Mercy Sweet (or preferred sweetener to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Sunflower Lecithin (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/4 teaspoon "gluccie" (glucomannan powder) - optional
- 2 "doonks" high mineral salt (1/16 teaspoon or 2 generous pinches)
- OPTIONAL: on-plan protein source, see notes
- OPTIONAL FOR THM S: MCT oil as desired
- OPTIONAL FOR THM S: coconut milk or coconut cream (unsweetened) for dairy free, or dairy options such as heavy cream or half and half (see notes)
- Add all ingredients to a blender jar.
- Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust sweetening if desired.
For non-dairy THM S add one of the following:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk or unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 to 3 teaspoons MCT oil or melted coconut oil
For dairy THM S add one of the following:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half and half
Protein options include collagen, whey protein powder, or cottage cheese. Use up to 1 scoop of powdered protein sources or 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Integral Collagen 16oz Bag
Trim Healthy Mama Pristine Whey Protein Powder 1 lb (453 grams) Pkg
MCT Oil (Medium Chain Triglycerides) 32oz – Trim Healthy Mama Store
"Gluccie" Glucomannan Powder
Simply Sunflower Lecithin 16oz Bag
Super Sweet Blend™ 16oz Bag
Xylitol-Free Gentle Sweet™ 16oz Bag
Gentle Sweet™ (Xylitol, Erythritol & Stevia Ground Blend) 16oz (3 Bags) – Trim Healthy Mama Store
Pure Stevia Extract Powder 1oz Bag
High Mineral Salt 12oz Bag
Flavorganics Vanilla Extract, 4 Ounce
Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 48 oz. Container, Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73.8Total Fat: 3.8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2.5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 102.9mgCarbohydrates: 10.7gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 6gSugar: 4.1gProtein: 2.5g
Nutrition information is approximate and based on the best knowledge available at the time of recipe publication. Your results may vary due to differences in ingredients. You can make your own calculations if this recipe does not include nutrition info by using an online calculator such as https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp