Make your own deli-style turkey ham salad at home quickly and easily! Just a few simple ingredients come together for a delicious low-carb sandwich filling. If you have a meat grinder, use it for authentic deli-style ham salad. A food processor, or just a knife and cutting board, work too! THMs, this is a low carb THM S recipe perfect for Wonder Wraps or other low carb bread options.
While we don’t eat pork now, my husband and I both grew up eating ham salad from the deli or local butcher shop.
My husband told me he learned how to make ham salad from someone at the butcher shop. They tossed odds and ends into the grinder…so, various cold cuts, ham, etc. It was also a way to use up cold cuts that were beyond their “sell by” date.
If that disgusts you too, then you need this easy low carb turkey ham salad recipe! When YOU make it, you know the ingredients are fresh. And, you don’t put anything in it you don’t want, like sugar.
Or out-of-date cold cuts…
You can also make it with the texture you prefer. Some like it chunkier, others like more of a pate texture. I personally like it not quite pate style.
I’ve also got a chunky “ham” salad recipe reminiscent of the sandwich filling my childhood friend’s German mom used to make. I accidentally recreated it one day!
What Do I Need To Make This Recipe?
No special ingredients needed for this easy recipe! You can add more seasonings if you like, but I’ve kept it super simple:
- Turkey ham (or regular ham)
- Mayo (or my Copycat Miracle Whip or Low Fat Mayo)
- Dill relish
- Fresh onion (or onion powder but fresh is best!)
- Garlic powder
- ACV (apple cider vinegar – optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Sweetener (optional)
Sister does not like savory things that are sweet, so I make this without sweetener usually. If you’re like Sister, this recipe is just for you!
However, the deli style ham salad I grew up eating was on the sweeter side. If you like a sweeter ham salad, add a bit of stevia or other on-plan sweetener.
Or, you can use my Copycat Miracle Whip which has a sweeter flavor than mayo. Also, for a bit lower fat try my Low Fat Mayo.
Hubby isn’t a big fan of vinegar so I don’t always add that. If you like a bit of vinegar zip, feel free to add some.
Do I Need A Meat Grinder Or Food Processor?
While a meat grinder makes a more authentic deli-style ham salad, a food processor works just fine.
No food processor? No problem! Just chop the turkey ham with a knife until it’s as finely-textured as you like. It may take longer than a food processor, but you still end up with ham salad.
I love my old fashioned meat grinder that my mom got for me several years ago. I use it to make my Aunt Kathy’s Holiday Cranberry Salad, because it’s just not the same made in a food processor.
Using an old fashioned meat grinder, you’ll grind the onions and turkey ham together. Run it through another time (or more) for finer texture.
How To Fit This Low Carb Turkey Ham Salad Into Your THM Meal Planning.
This recipe is a low carb THM S, so enjoy with other low carb foods.
As a snack, have some on 1 light rye Wasa cracker, or fill celery sticks or mini peppers instead.
food processorFor a meal, use a low carb bread option:
- Low Carb Bread in a Mug
- Mock Rye Bread
- Mock Rye Cocktail Bread
- Low Carb Coconut Flour Flat Bread
- Best Keto Dinner Rolls (I make these flatter, like sandwich buns)
- Wonder Wraps (page 204 in the first Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook)
- Slimming Sandwich Wraps
- Low Carb Corn Masa Wraps
Or, simply pile some on a bed of fresh greens!
Make sure to include plenty of non-starchy veggies, too.
- Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw THM FP
- Raspberry Basil Coleslaw THM S
- Balsamic Brussels Sprouts Salad THM S
- Creamy Cucumber and Tomato Salad THM S
- Fresh veggies and dip – Best French Onion Dip THM S, Chunky Blue Cheese Dip THM S, Creamy Cajun Ranch Dip THM FP, or Easy Ranch Dressing THM FP.
A simple dessert of fresh berries is so good with any THM S meal. But if you want something more dessert-like, try one of these…
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cheesecake with Peanut Butter Crust THM S
- Chocolate Covered Cheesecake Bites THM S
- Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie Bars THM S
- Layered Berries and Cream Dessert THM S
- Caramel White Chocolate Macadamia Blondies THM S
- Low Carb Vanilla Bean Mousse THM S
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie THM FP
- Easy Superfood Chocolate Shake THM S or FP
While ham salad may seem like a picnic kind of food to some, it’s a quick and delicious protein source any time of year. Perfect for packing lunches, too!
Low Carb Deli Style Turkey Ham Salad | THM S, Keto
Quick and easy deli-style ham salad made with turkey ham! Make it savory or on the sweet side. Low carb, THM S, and keto friendly.
- 4 cups turkey ham, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup mayo (see notes for other options)
- 1 cup onion, diced (or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder or to taste)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons dill relish
- ACV to taste (apple cider vinegar, optional)
- Sweetener of choice, to taste, optional
- Salt to taste, optional
- If using a food processor, place the cubed turkey ham and diced onions in the bowl and pulse several times until the consistency you desire.
- If using a manual, old-fashioned type meat grinder, grind cubed turkey ham and onions in small batches. Run through again or until the consistency you like.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground up turkey ham and onions with the mayo, relish, and any optional ingredients.
- Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Keep tightly covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For a lower fat recipe, use my Low Fat Mayo.
For a slightly sweeter turkey ham salad, use my Low Carb Copycat Miracle Whip.
To add sweetness without using my Low Carb Copycat Miracle Whip, add a small amount of your preferred on-plan sweetener to taste. I suggest starting with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon and increasing as needed. Always better to not add enough than add too much!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204.4Total Fat: 16.1gSaturated Fat: 3.3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9.8gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 966.1mgCarbohydrates: 5.1gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: .4gSugar: 1gProtein: 11.2g
Nutrition information is approximate and based on the best knowledge available at the time of recipe publication. Your results may vary due to differences in ingredients. You can make your own calculations if this recipe does not include nutrition info by using an online calculator such as https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
This looks really good! Can’t wait to try it!
Yum! Thank you for creating these recipes!
JD Zija says
Thank you for also including meal ideas with the dish. It really helps!
I can’t wait to try this!
I love that you’ve THM-ified ham salad. It was a childhood comfort food!
Very close to what I remember my momma making when I was growing up! Thank you!😊
Dawn Yoder says
Aw, that is one of my favorite things to hear from readers! Thank you for sharing that!