Make delicious, clean-eating, sugar free breakfast sausage yourself? Yes, you can! My easy seasoning blend makes delicious breakfast sausage without unwanted ingredients. Choose your own meat and make sausage that’s suitable for either THM S, E, FP, and even Deep S. Start your day off with a healthy breakfast meat option!
Our family quit eating pork several years ago. You can always find turkey breakfast sausage at the store but they’re often full of unhealthy ingredients.
For example, one popular brand of turkey breakfast sausage contains:
Ingredients: Turkey, Contains 2% or Less Seasoning (Salt, Dextrose, Spice, Spice Extractives, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, BHA, BHT, Citric Acid), Rosemary Extract, Calcium Lactate.
Also, one serving contains 370 mg of sodium. Compare that to just 62.6 grams in this healthy homemade sausage. And, that comes from high mineral salt, too.
It’s so easy to make your own sugar free breakfast sausage! While it tastes best after a chill in the fridge for several hours (or overnight), it’s still delicious mixed up and cooked right away.
Mister loves this sausage! It’s mildly seasoned so if you like a lot of seasoning in your breakfast sausage use 1 1/2 to 2 times the amount of seasoning called for in the recipe below.
In fact, making the seasoning for this sausage in bulk is a great idea if you eat sausage a lot. I’ve got a recipe for that, too, so you don’t have to do math 😉
What Meat Should I Use For This Recipe?
Use any ground meat you like! We choose ground turkey or chicken and even ground venison sometimes.
Make this recipe THM FP (Fuel Pull) style by using ground chicken or turkey breast (99% fat free).
MAKE IT VERSATILE: make this sugar free breakfast sausage recipe FP style, with ground turkey or chicken breast and keep it on hand. Then, to make for FP or E meals, use healthy cooking spray or very light amount of oil to cook your sausage (or bake in the oven).
For an S meal, simply cook in a healthy fat!
How To Easily Tell If Your Homemade Sausage Is Seasoned Properly Before Cooking.
You surely don’t want to taste test raw meat, right? Yuck! But, how do you make sure your homemade sausage is seasoned the way you like it?
I have an easy solution for that:
Take a bite-sized portion and cook it in a preheated pan. Flatten it out fairly thin and it cooks very quickly.
Then, just taste it! Add any salt or other seasonings to your preference and test again.
I do this with meatball and meatloaf mixtures too.
How To Cook.
This sausage mixture works well as both patties and cooked “crumbles.”
TIP: use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out sausage mixture. Then, pop the “puck” out and flatten to shape into sausage patties.
I’ve cooked patties in my cast iron skillet and baked in the oven. Skillet cooking is easy: cook for 7 to 8 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 7 to 8 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
To oven bake, just bake on a cookie sheet or in a cast iron skillet in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
A digital meat thermometer is super handy. Do you have one?
Is This Recipe Spicy?
No, it’s not. Though you can easily add spice if you’d like.
Try a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Or, give my favorite Creole seasoning a try instead.
Can You Freeze It?
Sure! Either freeze as bulk sausage or patties.
To freeze patties, form and place on a baking sheet and pop in the freezer until frozen. Then, store in a zipper bag or airtight container in the freezer.
Cooking from frozen will take a few minutes longer so plan ahead.
Tasty Ways To Use Homemade Breakfast Sausage.
I’m not a huge fan of breakfast so I don’t limit breakfast sausage to just the first meal of the day. It is, of course, delicious with eggs or along with pancakes or French toast.
See below for THM meal recommendations, including links to recipes!
This deliciously seasoned ground meat is also great for breakfast casseroles, fritattas, breakfast burritos, tacos, pizza, chili, or anywhere ground meat is used.
I’ve made many a homemade pizza with breakfast-style sausage and it’s just as delicious as Italian style sausage.
How To Fit This Recipe Into Your THM Meal Plan This Week.
Always consult the Trim Healthy Mama Plan Book for complete information on how to put together your meals.
First, Choose Your Ground Meat Wisely.
As mentioned above this recipe is very versatile! The type of meat you choose determines the THM Fuel Type.
For THM S and Deep S meals, use regular ground turkey (85% lean) or other fattier meats.
For THM E and FP meals, use ground turkey or chicken breast (99% fat free).
You can always cook FP style breakfast sausage in healthy fats, making the sausage an S.
Then, Plan Meals Using Your Homemade Breakfast Sausage.
Keeping cooked, crumbled sausage or patties on hand means quick and easy protein for your meals.
Let’s start with breakfast!
THM S Ideas:
- Fried eggs and sausage patties with sauteed kale (Deep S)
- Egg scramble with sausage, peppers, onions, and mushrooms
- Bring On Da Buttah Pancakes (page 262 in first THM Cookbook) with sausage patties
- Egg Puffs with cooked, crumbled sausage added
- On Low Carb Breakfast Pizza
THM E Ideas:
- Nourishing Quinoa & Sweet Potato Pancakes with FP style sausage
- Pumpkin Spice French Toast with FP style sausage patties
- Chocolate Java Instant Pot Oatmeal (or your favorite oatmeal) with FP style sausage patties
How About Some THM FP Ideas?
Remember to keep your main protein serving to 3 to 4 ounces. 2 cooked patties have just under 3 ounces.
- Egg white omelette with 1 or 2 sausage patties, fresh berries
- Low carb breakfast burrito made with egg whites, cooked, crumbled sausage, and plenty of veggies. Top with hot sauce for a metabolic boost. Use non-fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Egg white muffins with cooked sausage and veggies
THM Lunch Suggestions:
THM S Ideas:
- Meaty spaghetti sauce over low carb noodles or fresh greens, Garlic Biscuits In A Mug.
- Add cooked, crumbled sausage to my delicious Buttery Garlic, Chive, and Mushroom Spaghetti Squash.
- Easy skillet of sausage and green beans, add some onions and mushrooms if you like them.
- Sausage patty sandwich with Best Keto Dinner Rolls (flatten them out to make like sandwich buns). Top with fresh tomato, onions, and lettuce. Like Miracle Whip? Try my Low Carb Copycat Miracle Whip recipe.
THM E Ideas (With FP Style Sausage):
- Add cooked and crumbled sausage to my Easy Herbed Quinoa or Brown Rice recipe, serve with steamed green beans or side salad with Easy Ranch Dressing.
- Add cooked and crumbled sausage to my Simple Seasoned Lentils. Serve with fresh veggies or a nice salad.
- Top a baked sweet potato with cooked, crumbled sausage, non-fat Greek yogurt, and steamed broccoli with a teaspoon of butter on the side.
- Add to soups, perhaps my Red Bean, Quinoa, Kale Soup?
THM FP Ideas:
- Make a soup with fat free broth, cooked sausage, and nonstarchy veggies. Serve with a side salad with a FP salad dressing and fresh berries for dessert.
- Make Wonder Wraps (page 204 in first THM Cookbook) and use cooked sausage patties or crumbles to make wraps. Use my Low Fat Mayo and top with lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, and onion.
- Sausage sandwich on Swiss Bread on page 196 in first THM Cookbook. Use mustard or my low fat mayo and top with your favorite sandwich veggies. Fresh veggies on the side with Creamy Cajun Ranch Dip (made FP style).
THM Supper Ideas.
- Make an easy fritatta with eggs, sausage, and cheese (recipe coming soon). Serve with salad and Creamy Citrus Salad Dressing.
- Have breakfast! We call it “brinner” or “brupper” sometimes.
- Simple sausage and veggie skillet – use Deep S friendly veggies for a Deep S meal.
- Use sausage instead of bacon in my Cheesy Chicken and Bacon Casserole.
- Swap the ham for sausage in my Creamy Dill Havarti Spaghetti Squash Casserole.
- Add cooked sausage to this Hearty 2 Bean and Lentil Chili. Serve with my Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw or your favorite low/no fat nonstarchy side dish.
- Egg white and sausage patty sandwich on toasted sprouted bread with either low fat mayo or an LLC wedge (Light Laughing Cow cheese wedge). Serve with plenty of veggies.
- Or go full breakfast for supper with an egg white veggie omelette, sausage patties (made FP style), and fresh E fruit.
Make the sausage FP style and keep portion to 3 to 4 ounces.
- Sausage patties, Creamy Cucumber Salad, Miracle Mousse Makeover (made FP style – page 444 in Trim Healthy Table cookbook) for dessert.
- Cabbage and sausage skillet with Gluccie Pudding (page 351 in first THM Cookbook) for dessert
- Swap out the bacon for sausage in this Bacon Cauliflower Soup, serve with fresh veggies or a side salad with low/no fat dressing.
So many ways to use this delicious, healthy, homemade, sugar free breakfast sausage! Best of all it contains no preservatives, nitrates, or other unwanted ingredients. That makes it a smart choice for all your THM meals that need a good breakfast sausage.
Sausage Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon high mineral salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated stevia, such as my Mercy Sweet, THM Super Sweet, or Pyure Organic Stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons egg whites or 1 whole egg (see notes)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry seasoning ingredients until mixed well.
- Whisk in the egg whites (or whole egg).
- Add meat and mix well using a fork or your hands until all the seasoning is well incorporated.
- Use right away, or for best flavor refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
This is a mildly-seasoned sausage. If you like very seasoned sausage, make 1 1/2 to 2 times as much seasoning mix.
Add red pepper flakes or cayenne for a spicy sausage if desired.
Nutrition information given is for 85% lean ground turkey. For 99% lean ground turkey breast: Calories 65.3; Fat 0.8g; Sat Fat 0.3g; Cholesterol 42.5mg; Sodium 62.6mg; Carbs 0.5g; Fiber 0.2g; Sugar 0g; Protein 13.7g.
For THM S use any kind of ground meat.
For THM FP use ground turkey or chicken breast. You'll probably want to increase the seasoning when using ultra lean meat.
For THM FP meals, 2 patties have just under 3 ounces of protein.
THM FP style sausage can be cooked in a good amount of healthy fat to make it THM S sausage.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Super Sweet Blend™ 16oz Bag
High Mineral Salt 12oz Bag
Ouddy 2 Pack Silicone Whisk, Balloon Whisk Set
Bellemain Stainless Steel Non-Slip Mixing Bowls with Lids
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set (10-Inch and 12-Inch) Oven Safe Cookware | 2 Heat-Resistant Holders | Indoor and Outdoor Use | Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cooked patty
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125.3Total Fat: 8.5gSaturated Fat: 2.3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 42.5mgSodium: 62.6mgCarbohydrates: 0.5gFiber: 0.2gSugar: 0gProtein: 10.7g